Wednesday, September 8, 2010

It's time for PIZZA!




It occurred to me recently that I haven't shared a single recipe of my own (and honestly, this isn't solely mine...my friend Amanda found the yummy pizza dough recipe on The Pioneer Woman Cooks). I've been so busy trying to get all of your recipes up that I didn't even think to include one. So here goes...

Dough Recipe:

This is some seriously good pizza dough. The recipe says it makes 2 pizza crusts. Mark and I like variety...and thin crust, so this past weekend, I made 3 crusts out of it with three different sets of toppings. Here's the small print...this dough needs to be made at least 24 hours in advance.

1 tsp. active dry or instant yeast
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

Sprinkle yeast over 1 1/2 cups warm water. (I use a thermometer to get the water temperature right in order to activate the yeast.) In a mixer, combine flour and salt. With the mixer running on low speed, drizzle in olive oil until combined with the flour. Next, pour in the yeast/water mixture and mix until just combined.

Coast a separate mixing bowl with with a light drizzle of olive oil and form the dough into a ball. Toss to coat the dough in olive oil. Then cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for at least 24 hours...3 or 4 days is even better.

After dough has cured for 1 to 4 days, you are ready to enjoy some yumminess.

Divide dough in two and roll out. I like to use my Pampered Chef stones. Add desired toppings. Bake in a 500 degree oven for 12 minutes. Enjoy!!

My variations:

BBQ Chicken (My fave)

Diced chicken breast
BBQ sauce...my personal favorite is Sweet Baby Ray's Original
Onion and garlic sauteed for just a bit in olive oil
Mozzarella cheese...lots of it!

Use the BBQ sauce as you would regular pizza sauce. Top with the other ingredients. Bake and eat.

Chicken Alfredo (Mark's fave)

Diced chicken breast
1 jar of alfredo sauce
Onion, mushrooms, and garlic sauteed for just a bit in olive oil
Mozzarella cheese...lots of it!

Use the alfredo sauce as you would regular pizza sauce. Top with the other ingredients. Bake and eat.

Buffalo Chicken Pizza (My newest creation)

Diced Chicken breast
1/3 cup Frank's Hot Sauce
1/3 cup melted butter (not margarine)
1/4 cup ranch dressing
Mozzarella cheese

Combine the Frank's, melted butter, and ranch. Spread it on the crust. Add chicken and cheese. Bake and eat.

****************************************************

Yes, I do make 'regular' pizza. I just enjoy the non-traditional versions more. I will next try to come up with a seafood version...Mark loves anything with crab and shrimp...and maybe even lobster. A local pizzeria has a mac and cheese pizza...I might have to try that too.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this. Have you tried making it with wheat or half wheat flour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried it with wheat flour yet, but it should work out just fine. It is a great crust though and by making the dough ahead of time everything comes together really fast on pizza night.

    ReplyDelete